What types of cookies exist?
A cookie can be classified by its purpose, lifespan and the domain to which it belongs.
Cookies can serve different purposes, such as:
- cookies which allow the good functioning of a website or an application.
- cookies which allow for certain preferences or histories to be saved so that you can easily navigate the website without having to reintroduce such information in a future visit (remembering the language chosen, the user names, passwords, etc.).
- cookies which may analyze your behavior on the website to better understand your needs, adapt our website accordingly and provide you with a better user’s experience (which pages did you consult and for how long, number of visits of the website, from which location, etc.).
By lifespan, a cookie is either a:
- session cookie: which is erased when the user closes the browser; or
- persistent cookie: which remains on the user's computer/device for a pre-defined period of time.
As for the domain to which it belongs, there are either:
- first-party cookies: which are set by the web server of the visited page and share the same domain
- third-party cookies: stored by a different domain to the visited page's domain.
Are there cookies on our website?